Tuesday, July 17, 2012

PrEP News: FDA Approves First Drug for HIV Prevention

[Reposted from the O'Neill Institute Blog]

The Food and Drug Administration announced today its approval of tenofovir-emtricitabine (aka Truvada) for HIV prevention.  Truvada, which has been approved since 2004 for use in HIV treatment, is now approved for use as preexposure prophylaxis (“PrEP”)–a strategy in which an HIV-negative person uses an antiretroviral drug (in this case a daily pill) to reduce the risk of acquiring HIV from behaviors such as unprotected sex.  [More info on this strategy from CDC and AVAC.]

Although the approval had been anticipated–an advisory committee recommended approval in May–there had remained questions about the parameters of the approval:

(1) Populations: clinical trials have demonstrated clear (albeit partial) efficacy of Truvada among men who have sex with men and heterosexual couples in which one partner is HIV positive and the other is negative, leading the advisory committee to vote overwhelmingly to approve for these populations.  However, the data among heterosexual women are more mixed.  As a result, the advisory committee’s vote on whether to approve for “other individuals at risk for acquiring HIV through sexual activity” was a close call at 12-8.  Today, FDA announced that Truvada would be approved for anyone “at high risk of HIV infection and who may engage in sexual activity with HIV-infected partners”–a win for women’s health advocates who supported broader access, citing the vulnerability of many women to HIV exposure from male partners who refuse to use condoms.

(2) Risk mitigation: the FDA‘s decision was originally fast-tracked with a target date of June 15, but pushed back with the announcement that the FDA would be considering new materials on the Risk Evaluation Management Strategy (REMS) from the drug’s manufacturer.  This topic had received extensive discussion among the advisory committee, and for those skeptical of PrEP as a public health intervention, it was key: concerns about the drug’s safety (risks of kidney damage and bone density loss) and drug resistance (among those who become HIV infected and continue taking Truvada instead of full-on ARV therapy) had led some to suggest strict limitations to control access, e.g. only to patients who could show a negative HIV test.  Instead, the FDA‘s announcement described a REMS based on education for providers and patients, explaining that stricter limits would have added “unnecessary burdens to health care professionals and patients.”

Less strict requirements may be important for patients with less consistent access to health systems, many of whom may face elevated HIV risk.  The CDC is expected to issue new clinical practice guidelines for PrEP, and the debate over how best to roll out this intervention–safely, effectively, and equitably–will certainly continue.

4 comments:

  1. Good day My Name is Mike mougar i am here to share a great testimony of my life i was cure from HIV by a Doctor Name DR CUBA i have been HIV for 5 year i saw doctor Email on the internet so i contact him and i explain to him i follow up the instruction behold 6 days later after taking the cure i went for a HIV text to my surprise it was Negative my family doctor was surprise my husband who abandon me was surprise my brother if you no that you are positive please i will advise you to contact him now and see for your self his Email is drcubatemple@gmail.com why is website is......[ www.dr-cubatemple.webs.com] and also you can contact on whatsapp +2347038965900

    ReplyDelete
  2. J'apprécie beaucoup le Dr AKHIGBE, je m'appelle LAURIE HUGHES. Je ne cesserai jamais de témoigner au Dr. AKHIGBE, le bonheur est tout ce que je vois maintenant, je ne pensais jamais que je serais guéri du virus VIH à nouveau. Le Dr AKHIGBE l'a fait pour moi. Je souffre d'une maladie mortelle (VIH) depuis 2 ans maintenant, j'avais dépensé beaucoup d'argent pour aller d'un endroit à un autre, d'églises en églises, les hôpitaux étaient chez moi tous les jours. résidence. Les contrôles constants ont été mon passe-temps pas jusqu'à ce jour fidèle, j'ai vu un témoignage sur la façon dont DR AKHIGBE a aidé quelqu'un à guérir de sa maladie par le VIH sur Internet rapidement j'ai copié son email qui est drrealakhigbe@gmail.com juste pour lui donner un test que j'ai parlé à lui, il m'a demandé de faire certaines choses que j'ai faites, il m'a dit qu'il allait me fournir le traitement à base de plantes, ce qu'il a fait, puis il m'a demandé de passer un examen médical après quelques jours, après avoir utilisé le cure d'herbes médicinales et je l'ai fait, voici, j'étais libéré de la maladie mortelle, jusqu'à présent, pas de VIH en moi, il m'a seulement demandé d'afficher le témoignage dans le monde entier, je le fais fidèlement maintenant, tout le témoignage de DR AKHIGBE est vrai s'il vous plaît Frère et sœur, mère et père il est génial, je lui dois en retour. Si vous rencontrez un problème similaire, envoyez-lui simplement un e-mail à l'adresse drrealakhigbe@gmail.com ou son numéro de téléphone portable au +2348142454860. Il peut également guérir ces maladies telles que le VIH et le sida. drrealakhigbe@gmail.com ... ou ce que lui APP .. + 2348142454860 il est un homme vraiment bon et honnête.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate DR AKHIGBE,my name is LAURIE HUGHES . I will never stop testifying DR AKHIGBE , Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HIV virus again. DR AKHIGBE did it for me I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HIV) for the past 2 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one place to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I saw a testimony on how DR AKHIGBE helped someone in curing his HIV disease in internet quickly I copied his email which is drrealakhigbe@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days, after using the herbal cure and i did, behold I was free from the deadly disease,till now no HIV in me again he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now,all the testimony of DR AKHIGBE is true please BROTHER and SISTER, MOTHER and FATHER he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or you can whatsApp his mobile number on +2348142454860 He can also cure these diseases like HIVand AIDS HERPES,DIABETICES,CANCER, HEPATITIS B ABC, .ETC .please email drrealakhigbe@gmail.com...or whatAPP him ..+2348142454860 he is a real good and honest man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m Mark Russ , I contracted HIV in 2009, I was told by my doctor that there’s no possible cure for HIV. I started taking my ARV’s, My CD4 was 77 and viral load was 112,450. I saw a website of Dr. Imoloa also I saw a lot of testimonies about him on how he uses herbal medicine to cure HIV. I
    contacted him and told him my problems, He sent me the herbal medicine and i took it for two weeks after then I went for check-up and I was cured. The medicine has no side effect, there’s no special diet when taking the medicine. He also cure DIABETES, EX BACK, ALES, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, HERPES
    1) If you want your ex back.
    (2) If you always have bad dreams.
    (3) You want to be promoted in your
    office.
    (4) You want women/men to run after
    you.
    (5) If you want your own children
    (6) You want to be rich.
    (7) You want to tie your husband/wife to
    be yours forever.
    (8) If you need financial assistance.
    (9) How you been scammed and you
    (10) and if you ant your herpes cure back
    want to recover you lost money
    (11) CANCER,
    (12) DIABETES,
    (13) HIV&AIdS,
    (14) URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
    (15) CANCER,
    (16) IMPOTENCE,
    (17) BARENESS/INFERTILIY
    (18) DIARRHEA
    (19) ASTHMA..
    Also contact him with the above.
    and lots more. You can reach him on drimoloaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or
    Whatsapp +2347081986098 all thanks to dr imoloa he is really a great man .

    ReplyDelete